Whiskey is quite a versatile spirit. In fact, the range of cocktails listed below speak to its versatility. Many bartenders classify whiskey as the world’s most popular brown spirit. So although vodka, gin, and tequila seem to basque in the spotlight, whiskey deserves to share in the fame.
Here’s the bottom line:
Whiskey comes in many different variations. Therefore, there are a myriad of ways to savor the unique nuances of whiskey through cocktails.
Whether you crave some spice or something more sweet, whiskey can do it all. In fact, whiskey can compliment a range of flavor profiles. The liquor’s versatility promises that there is a whiskey cocktail for everyone!
First, let’s get one thing straight:
Is it whiskey or whisky?
Ah the age old question. Are whiskey and whisky two different spirits? The answer is:
The answer to this question “whiskey or whisky?” is largely dependent on where you live. While Americans and the Irish generally include an “e” in the spelling of whiskey, Canadians and The Scottish people spell whisky without the “e”. Although there is no difference between whiskey and whisky, there are many different types of whiskey.
What are the different types of whiskey?
Popular whiskey variations include rye, scotch, and bourbon. Whiskey is a classification for a variety of distilled liquors that are created using a fermented mash of cereal grains and aged in wooden (generally oak) containers.
So, what exactly sets these liquors apart?
The difference between rye, scotch, and bourbon whiskey is the type of cereal grain used in the distilling process as well as the method and location of production.
- Scotch whisky: Whisky connoisseurs love scotch for its smoky flavor. Distillers primarily make scotch from melting barley and heating it over a peat fire. A whisky cannot be classified as a scotch unless it is entirely produced and bottled in Scotland.
- Bourbon whiskey: Distillers craft bourbon using at least 51% mash from corn. This method of distillation makes the liquor quite sweet. In order for a whiskey to be classified as a bourbon, it must be made in the United States.
- Rye whiskey: Rye whiskey is a whiskey that uses a rye mash or a rye and malt mash. Many desire rye for its peppery bite. Most of the rye whiskey production takes place in the USA and Canada. Kentucky produces the majority of the United States’s rye whiskey.
What is the best way to drink whiskey?
Whiskey is first and foremost versatile. Therefore, there are a number of ways to enjoy this spirit.
In order to fully appreciate the nuance of a whiskey, it is best to drink it neat. A whiskey neat is meant to be consumed slowly, not consumed all in one sip.
- Add Water
For many, drinking a whiskey neat is too intense. The high alcoholic content can simply overwhelm one’s taste buds. Adding a little water both lowers the alcohol content and releases the water repellent elements in the glass, allowing the drinker to detect more flavors by smell.
- On the Rocks
Although this is a popular way to consume whiskey, experts often recommend against this option. Ice tends to numb you palate and dull the flavor of the whiskey. If you do choose “on the rocks” opt for a large ice cube rather than small cubes which tend to melt faster and dilute your drink quite quickly. Try chilled whiskey stones, if you do not want to dilute your whiskey.
- In a cocktail
Cocktails with whiskey recipes are seemingly endless. However, whiskey cocktail classics include the Whiskey Sour, Manhattan, Old Fashioned, and Sazerac. Below we have outlined some of Minibar Delivery’s favorite whiskey cocktails that will be a hit at your next party or family dinner.
What are the best cocktails with whiskey?
Maple Old Fashioned
Maple Old Fashioned: A twist on one of our favorite classics. The Maple Old Fashioned adds a subtle sweetness to an already exceptional cocktail.
- Add all ingredients to a rocks glass and stir
- Garnish with orange peel and cherry
Sazerac: Enjoy this whiskey cocktail anytime. The bold flavors of the sazerac cocktail make it a stand out cocktail for all rye whiskey lovers.
- Rinse glass with absinthe
- In a mixing glass combine sugar, bitters and a few drops of water
- Mix until well combined
- Add rye whiskey
- Transfer to lowball glass or rocks glass
- Garnish with lemon peel
Apple Cinnamon Hot Toddy
Apple Cinnamon Hot Toddy: A perfect drink for cool fall nights, this Apple Cinnamon Hot Toddy is easy to make and delicious to enjoy. The sweetness of honey and the spiciness of cinnamon perfectly come together.
- In a saucepan, bring cider and spices to a boil.
- Remove from heat and strain into a glass or mug.
- Stir in honey, whiskey, and lemon juice.
Manhattan: A classic invented in Manhattan in the 1800s. Typically made with rye whiskey, variations can be made with bourbon, Tennessee whiskey, and even tequila or mezcal.
- Stir whiskey, bitters, and vermouth in a shaker with ice
- Strain into a chilled glass with a Maraschino cherry at the bottom
The Right Thyme
The Right Thyme: It’s never a bad time for this cocktail. The Right Thyme is perfect for any occasion or any season. We love it and we know you will too.
- Combine bourbon, pomegranate juice and lemon juice in a shaker with ice
- Shake until chilled
- Pour into glass with ice
- Top with ginger beer.
- Garnish with thyme
Whiskey cocktails are seemingly endless. Above all, make sure you have all the ingredients to make your whiskey cocktail dreams come true. Luckily, Minibar Delivery will make sure you have favorite whiskey delivered to your door in as little as 30-60 minutes. With our on demand delivery service you will be whipping up one of these delicious cocktails with whiskey in no time. What are you waiting for? Browse our amazing selection of whiskeys today!